The Chronicles of a Brand New Knitter.....

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Homesick....

It's weird for me to be feeling homesick right now, since I've been away from "home" for 11 years....but I am. I'm not really missing any one place, but I guess just the south in general. Being from Tennessee originally, we moved to North Carolina for 4½ years, then off to Texas for 6½ years, so southerners are all I know. People here in Utah are just SOOOO different from what I'm used to. I'm trying so hard to find a way to feel like I belong here, but so far, it's not happening.

If you're walking through a store in the south...and you happen to make eye contact with someone, it's just normal to say hi and strike up a conversation - sometimes they may even know your life story before you make it down the next aisle, LOL. It's also normal for everyone to smile, wave, or hug you....for no apparent reason at all. That type of stuff just doesn't take place here. If you do happen to make eye contact with someone here, they automatically shift their sight down and act as if you're invisible...hoping desperately that you won't talk to them. If you wave to someone just driving down the street, they look at you like you have a third eye and you may possibly even get flipped off! Where's the hospitality? Maybe I just expect too much, since I'm from a place where nobody's a real stranger....except those notherners who talk funny....but even then , nobody's left out.

Anyway, I know I've complained about not having friends here enough, but this is much deeper. I want the warmth and friendliness that I'm used to. I'd take that over a bunch of friends anyday. I just want to feel like I belong......cause I don't really have a third eye ya'll.....I just talk funny!

4 Comments:

Blogger margene said...

Oh dear! That is not the Utah I know! People are very friendly. Sounds like you need to come hang with some Stitch 'n Bitch grrls! We'll make you feel like you're at home (but we will sound foreign;0)

4:26 PM

 
Blogger Heatherly said...

that is so funny. when we left new hampshire, where you barely spoke to someone you knew in a store, to go to Florida, i went thru major culture shock. we arrived in south carolins at 10 pm and stopped at grocery store. people who were shopping in their pajamas greeted us. they were so friendly we were frightened!!!
I hope you find a good friend, neraby...not just in cyberspace!

9:07 PM

 
Blogger SwatchKnitter said...

Thanks to you both!

I'm really not this whiney all the time, LOL. You'd think that I'd be used to moving after being married to a Marine for so long. I think this time it's different because it's our last move....my hubby is out!

Margene- I know that there are some really nice people around here somewhere. I just need to find some of them, LOL.

Heatherly- southerners can be a little scary too....I'm scared at my own family reunion sometimes. Most of them are harmless though. I'm just glad that someone understands what I'm going through.

9:22 PM

 
Blogger bubbebobbie said...

Fist, I am Heaherly's mom and the reason she can relate! What I have learned over the years is you will know you are home when someone at the Grocery store says Hi and knows your name. Best friends that last for life can be found at Bible Studies and Homeschool support groups save your sanity and obviously at Stitch n Bitch gatherings.(for proof of this see Heatherly's Birthday Blessings blog. You are the new kid, they are established in their routines and friendships so you have to make the moves and reach out.By the way S.C must have been ahead of their time, everyone goes out in their pajama pants now!

8:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home